Search Linux Wireless

Re: [BUG v6.2.7] Hitting BUG_ON() on rtw89 wireless driver startup

On 3/22/23 10:54, Hyeonggon Yoo wrote:

Hello folks,
I've just encountered weird bug when booting Linux v6.2.7

config: attached
dmesg: attached

I'm not sure exactly how to trigger this issue yet because it's not
stably reproducible. (just have encountered randomly when logging in)

At quick look it seems to be related to rtw89 wireless driver or network subsystem.

Your bug is weird indeed, and it does come from rtw89_8852be. My distro has not yet released kernel 6.2.7, but I have not seen this problem with mainline kernels throughout the 6.2 or 6.3 development series.

One thing that would have been helpful is to include any rtw89 entries in the dmesg log that appeared BEFORE the BUG. For instance, I have no idea what firmware level you are running, etc.

If you are willing, I would like you to 'git clone https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89.git'. You would likely need to install the packages needed to build an out-of-kernel driver as shown in README.md in the repo. You would also need to blacklist rtw89_8852be, which would interfere with rtw_8852be coming from the new repo. The code in the repo matches what will be in kernel 6.3+, and it would be instructive if there is something in your system that triggers this problem. I have never seen anything like this.

Larry