Search Linux Wireless

Re: [UPDATE 1] My TP-Link EX510 AX3000 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router has a paper notice on GNU General Public License

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 8:43 PM Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
<teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Subject: [UPDATE 1] My TP-Link EX510 AX3000 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router has a paper notice on GNU General Public License

[personal information removed]

> My [snip] ISP has also given me a *FREE* TP-Link EX510 AX3000 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router [snip] Inside the packaging box there is a paper notice on GNU General Public License.
>
> I believe my tp-link Wi-Fi 6 wireless router is most likely running on an open source Linux operating system.

Most likely, almost all of them do these days.

> How can I find out what version of the Linux Kernel it is running on? I think only Linux kernel 6.x support Wi-Fi 6. Am I right?

Your device will be running a vendor kernel and drivers so it could be
running just about any version of the kernel. The companies that
develop the chipsets and SoCs in WiFi routers generally provide their
own version of the Linux kernel with custom or proprietary drivers for
the hardware in the device. These kernels are frequently outdated so
there's no guarantee that it's a 6.x kernel.

What are your goals for this device? Are you planning to just use it
as-is or do you want to modify or replace the software in some way?

If you're interested in what software is running on it, contact
TP-Link: they should have a way for you to get the source code of the
GPL licensed parts of the software on the device.

If you're interested in installing a different operating system on it,
I'd recommend taking this question to the OpenWRT forums.

Finally, this isn't really the right forum for this discussion: this
mailing list is specifically about the development of open source
Linux drivers for WiFi hardware, e.g. PCI or USB devices and it's
unlikely that your device is running those drivers. This is a question
that is much better answered by forums which specifically discuss WiFi
routers and embedded devices, for example the OpenWRT forums.

Thanks,

--
Julian Calaby

Email: julian.calaby@xxxxxxxxx