Search Linux Wireless

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 - Project ideas page for the Linux Foundation online

On 16/01/2023 14:28, Ian Rogers wrote:
Hi Till,

This is great news! Could you clarify the "newcomers in free software"
a bit. Is it the same as last year? Last year we had somebody working
in a closed source environment who applied because they had only a few
years experience and had never sent patches to LKML. We also had
somebody working for a tech giant but in a managerial role, who wanted
to work on some open source software. Beside the challenge of trying
to fit open source work in with a day job, we decided that the
candidates didn't fit the idea of newcomer and so weren't eligible for
the GSoC funding. We offered to help them outside of GSoC but none
accepted that.

Thanks,
Ian

"Newcomer" means newcomer in free software coding not newcomer in IT in general, so people who have only worked in closed-source before or people who were only managing in open-source but not coding are eligible. I assume, but do not know, that Googlers will google for free software coding activity (e. g. commits in project repositories) to determine whether a contributor is eligible.

There is also a rule that one contributor can be GSoC contributor a maximum of 2 times, but I do not know whether this is also valid for newcomers, as with the first participation you got already free software experience and a certain commit history. Perhaps a 1-year experience is still tolerated.

So your last year's candidates should be eligible.

   Till