Search Linux Wireless

every other wireless scan shows bogus (too low) signal strengths

I have an X230 ThinkPad with coreboot and Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 card, which uses the iwlwifi kernel module. Module's wifi power saving is off (the default setting).

When I scan for wifi hotspots at the command line, every other scan gives me bogus (too low) signal strengths and every other scan gives me expected signal strengths:

bruno@x230:~$ sudo iw dev wlan0 scan flush | grep -e 'signal:' -e 'SSID:' | head -10
	signal: -69.00 dBm
	SSID: donkey_2.4GHz
	signal: -81.00 dBm
	SSID: donkey_5GHz
	signal: -79.00 dBm
	SSID: Spencer
	signal: -80.00 dBm
	SSID: wattslolahome
	signal: -82.00 dBm
	SSID: wattslolahome-guest
bruno@x230:~$ sudo iw dev wlan0 scan flush | grep -e 'signal:' -e 'SSID:' | head -10
	signal: -42.00 dBm
	SSID: donkey_2.4GHz
	signal: -64.00 dBm
	SSID: donkey_5GHz
	signal: -80.00 dBm
	SSID: Spencer
	signal: -80.00 dBm
	SSID: wattslolahome
	signal: -84.00 dBm
	SSID: wattslolahome-guest
bruno@x230:~$ sudo iw dev wlan0 scan flush | grep -e 'signal:' -e 'SSID:' | head -10
	signal: -69.00 dBm
	SSID: donkey_2.4GHz
	signal: -78.00 dBm
	SSID: donkey_5GHz
	signal: -80.00 dBm
	SSID: Spencer
	signal: -80.00 dBm
	SSID: wattslolahome
	signal: -84.00 dBm
	SSID: wattslolahome-guest
bruno@x230:~$ sudo iw dev wlan0 scan flush | grep -e 'signal:' -e 'SSID:' | head -10
	signal: -43.00 dBm
	SSID: donkey_2.4GHz
	signal: -61.00 dBm
	SSID: donkey_5GHz
	signal: -79.00 dBm
	SSID: Spencer
	signal: -80.00 dBm
	SSID: wattslolahome
	signal: -82.00 dBm
	SSID: wattslolahome-guest
etc.

The problem is distro-agnostic (I use Devuan x86_64 and Tiny Core Linux x86_64 and both are affected). Problem is not specific to iw (if I scan with iwlist I see a similar pattern). The pattern is always the same: First scan after a fresh boot is always bad, second one is good, etc.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it so that every scan shows the expected signal strengths?