Search Linux Wireless

rtw_8723de Realtek driver issue in Debian 11.5 Bullseye Kernel version 5.10.0-18-amd64

Hi,
A few months ago I updated the system from Debian 10 to 11. Always in Debian I had to do the Wifi driver installation manually, the last one that did works I downloaded from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw88. ;

But, a few days ago, I had to do a clean install. So I downloaded Debian 11.5 and again I did the manual installation of the driver.
In this case, when I reboot the laptop the operating system loading is stuck in "Started Display Manager".
But, if I login in rescue mode, and of course uninstall the driver, the I can logon normally to the system but without WiFi!

I was investigating a lot, but it seems there is a problem with that kernel version and my driver (there is not a new version of the driver for my wifi card rtl8723de) because if I do the installation again, but before rebooting I try what the README of driver says:

sudo modprobe -r rtw_8723de         #This unloads the module
sudo modprobe -r rtw_core

Due to some pecularities in the modprobe utility, two steps are required.

sudo modprobe rtw_8723de            #This loads the module

Only a single modprobe call is required to load.

I can use Wifi (in fact I am writing right now this email with WiFi working smoothly!), but again in the next reboot the initializing is stuck. No errors I could read in logs.

So, I think that my workaround: "poweroff - poweron, system loading stuck - force poweroff - poweron in rescue mode - uninstall driver - reboot - logon on system - install driver again and use WiFi like a normal person"
is not enough efficiently.

Kindly ask to you (it  indicates from instructions README of driver) if there is a solution for this issue?

BTW, I tried to install Ubuntu 22.04 with Kernel 5.16.xx and the WiFi works fine, but I'm a Debian user since Debian 5 and I don't think to leave it and I have no money to buy another Laptop for the moment!

If you need something from my side to do a deeper investigation, please ask me.

BR

Mariano Vedovato