Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC v2 38/96] cl8k: add mac80211.c

On Thu, 26 May 2022 21:49:17 +0200, johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm really surprised to see this callback in a modern driver - wouldn't
> you want to support some form of multi-channel operation? Even just
> using the chanctx callbacks might make some of the DFS things you have
> there easier?

That is a good point. We picked the “old” channel API, which took less time to
implement – the benefits of channel context were not clear enough during that
time.

> This feels ... odd. You really shouldn't have to look into the beacon to
> figure out these things?
>
> And SGI etc. are per-STA rate control parameters anyway? Hmm.

Information from this dynamic parsing is required for our driver and FW to
function properly.

> You have all this hardware/firmware and you implement this? Interesting
> design choice. One that I'm sure you'll revisit for WiFi 7 ;-)

Actually, the driver is doing that in cl_tx_handle_beacon_tim function as a
result of TBTT interrupt. However, the next version of the RFC will be without
that code – we are moving the routine to the FW side due to timing issues in
the multiclient setup.

Best regards,
Viktor Barna