Search Linux Wireless

Re: Marvell TopDog Driver Work

snip
Definitely, I've looked at marvell.git (topdog) and Luis's code, and
earlier Marvell GPL code quite extensively.  The firmware interface is
quite similar between the TopDog (802.11n) parts and the b/g parts, as
are the TX and RX descriptors.  From my research, I didn't think it
would be that hard to support both parts in the same driver.

My strategy would be this, assuming you have TopDog hardware.  If you do
not, I can ship you a CardBus TopDog card:

1) Use marvell.git and Luis' attempt to get minimal b/g support working
for the TopDog parts
Don't think I can help with this part, as I don't have TopDog hardware...

2) Start adding in the support for 8335/8310 parts using mrv8k (and
possibly BSD's malo(4)) as a guide
But I do have 8335 hardware:

00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)

--snip from the old mrv8k driver from a few months ago--
(mrv8k): successfully uploaded firmware
(mrv8k): HW ver. 1, FW ver. 0x3000036, 2 antennas, regulatory domain US (FCC)
--snip--

If memory serves, it's a Netgear 311v3 PCI... but the packaging isn't around and I'm too lazy to turn my machine off to physically look at the card (and stand on my head!).

3) Add the 802.11n bits of TopDog stuff

The _most_ important thing is first to get a stable b/g driver, then add
the candy later.  Since we have a full TopDog driver implementation,
that might be the best thing to get working first.  mrv8k was never able
to get very far for me when I was poking at it, I couldn't even get
reliable scan results.

I don't think there is any question of *whether* TopDog support is
possible in mrv8k, only when, and "right now" does not yet appear to be
the answer. I really hope to be proven wrong on that, though.

Oh, it's certainly possible in mrv8k.  But obviously you just want to
get something up and running first, then add the tasty bits like N
support later.

Dan
I am more than willing to help test and/or debug any driver developments that come down the pipeline for the 8335 chip.

JD