Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] mac80211: Re-enable aggregation

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 15:01 +0530, Sujith wrote:
> Johannes Berg wrote:
> > Can you change your quote string from " > " to "> "? Just asking, if you
> > can't/don't want to that's fine, it just always confuses me for a
> > second. I really should try to figure out if I can convince my mailer to
> > highlight " > " indented text as quote too.
>
> Sure, adding (setq vm-included-text-prefix "> ") in my .emacs did the trick. :)

Thanks! :)

> > > Well, currently ath9k maintains a buffer list for each tid.
> > > When mac80211 sends down a frame, if the recipient has an aggr. session going,
> > > it is appended to the tid's buffer list. Non-HT frames are sent out immediately.
> >
> > Incidentally, why the distinction between HT and non-HT frames?
>
> HT frames for aggregation enabled STAs are processed in the TX completion path, so
> they are buffered.

But couldn't non-HT frames be buffered similarly? Maybe I'm missing one
of the finer points of the 11n draft?

> > > On TX completion, we run through all the ACs, STAs and TIDs and send out pending
> > > frames as aggregates.
> >
> > So basically you can always have one frame or one aggregation
> > "pack" (for lack of a better word) queued to the hw?
> >

> I am not sure, I should check.

Doesn't really matter, I was just trying to make sense out of your
statement of processing it at completion time.

> Makes sense, ath9k currently has a similar set of functions ( pausing/resuming TIDs).
> How would the pending frames for each TID be managed ?
> Will the driver be able to pull them as and when needed or would mac80211
> push them down on checking if the TID is awake ?

I guess there's no clear answer here. How about "whichever you want"?
Though I think I prefer pushing them down as that makes the model easier
to understand. It probably also makes the Intel case easier to
implement.

johannes