Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] mac80211: Re-enable aggregation

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 02:14 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> Indeed I agree with this. I think we can do this in three steps:
>
> 1. resolve aggregation for now for ath9k

That's what Sujith's patch does, basically. It just leaves the Intel
hooks in place.

> 2. resolve aggregation for amdpu_queue case. My suggestion here is to
> use skb_buf_head (after Jouni's suggestion for our driver in fact),
> and do not make use of a qdisc at all for this

I agree on both, but this is more of an implementation detail than an
API description, which we really want to have first.

> 3. consider what we can really share when schedulers on aggr differ,
> in one case where everything is in the driver and the other where its
> not. For example -- when a new driver requiring aggregation is needed
> we can consolidate aggr scheduler mechanisms. If this is not
> acceptable this means we have to do it now but I don't know enough
> about any other hardware to do it accurately to make it work for 2
> hardwares.

I think the scheduler probably doesn't really matter as long as we have
a way to let the frames stop coming in/start again. And I also don't
think there are any other possible much different hardware designs.

johannes