Search Linux Wireless

Re: Power saving on mac80211

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> I will. I need to check that if the "firmware beacon watch" is enabled
>>> only when PSM is enabled. If it is, we might have to make the flag
>>> dynamic.
>>
>> IIRC it's a separate flag.
>
> Very good, that would be the best way.
>
>>>  There isn't any
>>> timeout for delivering beacons to the host, if the data path is idle
>>> for 24 hours, mac80211 will not receive any beacons for the 24 hours.
>>> I don't see why we need a timeout here.
>>
>> Right. But we need to program the chip to tell the chip "hey please tell
>> me if you haven't seen a beacon in X seconds".
>
> Ah, you mean that timeout. Sorry, I forgot that one altogether. Yes,
> we definitely need that timeout.

Is this to configure the firmware to report beacon misses so that in
those cases we can inform mac80211? And to let mac80211 be aware/be
able to set this as a tunable parameter?

I wanted to note intel hardware seems to handle parsing beacons in
firmware when is PS mode already and I have no clue when it would
inform mac80211 of a beacon miss and if it does it. Tomas?

 Luis