Search Linux Wireless

Re: Support for bcm43364 wireless chipset in brcm80211/brcmfmac

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 1:09 PM Jupiter <jupiter.hce@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Our original design was using Marvell Avastar 88W8801
> chipset, the driver mwifiex and wifiex_sdio worked well for kernel 4,
> but after NXP acquired Marvell wireless sector, NXP stopped supporting
> mainline Linux, the kernel 5 mwifiex cannot communicate to 88W8801
> chipset firmware, we were told to use the proprietary Linux driver
> sources which is incompatible to our Yocto / OE build system, we have
> no choice but to change the WiFi module.

Despite what corporations tell you, mainline Linux shouldn't be
dropping support for things just because the corporation moved on. If
you can track down the mwifiex regression (e.g., with bisection),
there's a chance we can fix it. I still see
SDIO_DEVICE_ID_MARVELL_8801 listed in the upstream driver, FWIW.

Unfortunately, without anyone paying attention (Marvell, NXP, ... or
you) that has the hardware, it can be hard to guarantee things stay
working. Hint: while I have (and care about) several Marvell chips, I
don't have that one.

Brian