Search Linux Wireless

Re: [BUG] deadlock in nl80211_vendor_cmd

On 3/25/2022 5:09 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Tue, 2022-03-22 at 21:58 +0000, William McVicker wrote:

It would be nice if nl80211_vendor_cmd() could support taking the RTNL lock if
requested via the vendor flags. That would require moving the wiphy lock to
nl80211_vendor_cmds() so that it could take the RTNL and wiphy lock in the
correct order. Is that something you'd be open to Johannes?

Not very, to be honest. If we had a good use case for it, maybe, but
you're not even saying quite what the use case is :)

I believe Will and I are up against the same issues. Out-of-tree Android drivers use a large number of vendor commands to support the requirements of the Android framework. Prior to 5.12 these vendor commands would always be called with the rtnl lock held, and in some cases the implementation of the vendor commands care about that, especially when calling back into the kernel. In particular we are faced with the issue that there are some kernel APIs that require that the rtnl lock be held, and as a result of the lock infrastructure change we can no longer call those APIs from vendor commands. That is a pretty severe limitation to work around.

/jeff