Search Linux Wireless

Re: mwifiex_sdio_sd8997 and sdiouart8997 firmware

Hi Marcel,

Marcel Ziswiler <marcel.ziswiler@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi there
>
> I have a question concerning firmware loading for mwifiex_sdio_sd8997. So far the driver hard-codes loading
> mrvl/sdsd8997_combo_v4.bin. However, our latest hardware has the SD8997 strapped for sdiouart aka Wi-Fi using
> SDIO and Bluetooth using serial UART. Therefore, it also requires a different firmware
> sdiouart8997_combo_v4.bin [1] instead. While I successfully tested everything on top of latest -next by
> manually re-naming that firmware file I was wondering how exactly this is supposed to work with mwifiex.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to detect the strapping and automatically load the correct firmware?

Some NXP kernels on codeaurora have a modified version of the old
proprietary Marvell driver lurking within, and that driver knows how to
query the chip to determine the strapping config. I have not tested this
myself but I hope it can give you some idea of how to update mwifiex to
do the same.

Take a look at woal_sdiommc_get_fw_name (and use protective eyewear):

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx/tree/drivers/net/wireless/nxp/mxm_wifiex/wlan_src/mlinux/moal_sdio_mmc.c?h=rel_imx_5.4.70_2.3.2&id=688b67b2c7220b01521ffe560da7eee33042c7bd#n1274

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,
Alvin