Search Linux Wireless

Issues with mt7915 thermal throttling

I noticed some strange issues with mt7915's thermal throttling, particularly the cooling_device.

First, it seems that the thermal subsystem expect that higher cooling_device states provide more cooling, but mt7915e apparently does the opposite and use it as a duty cycle, where state=1 does severe throttling/max cooling (iperf throughput basically go down to near zero) and state=100 is full power.

Also, state=0, from the comments, apparently disable thermal management, except that in practice, it does not change the throttle state, since throughput stays low when switching from state=1 to state=0, and stays high when switching from 100 to 0.

As a result, as soon as the default thermal zone runs a little hot, the performance of mt7915e is destroyed and does not recover much when the temperature drops down.

I can come up with a patch to fix the first issue, but not the state=0 one, and i would like some pointers/confirmation.