Search Linux Wireless

Adding CMD_SET_CHANNEL for station iftypes

Hi,

I see CMD_SET_CHANNEL is only supported for AP-type iftypes (AP,
P2P_GO, etc). While this definitely makes sense in most cases,
protocols like p2p/dpp require going off channel for an undetermined
amount of time.

I could go into the exact scenarios but in short your REMAIN_ON_CHANNEL
could end at very inconvenient times.

Specifically when a station is not associated to any AP is there any
harm in allowing CMD_SET_CHANNEL? Is this purely a software limitation
or do drivers not allow this?

If this sounds reasonable (and possible) I would propose adding the
station iftype to CMD_SET_CHANNEL in addition to an extended feature
e.g. NL80211_EXT_FEATURE_STA_SET_CHANNEL so supplicants can detect
support or fall back to using REMAIN_ON_CHANNEL for these specific use
cases.

Thanks,
James