Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ath5k-devel] Oops with current kernel and ath5k

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Elias Oltmanns <eo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Bob Copeland" <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I'm just not too sure about that. Please note that I'm not
> concerned about user space interfering too early in the resume process,
> which is indeed prevented by the freezer. It's rather that user space
> may initiate iface shutdown immediately before tasks are frozen and due
> to heavy load or other unfortunate circumstances the kernel doesn't get
> round to serve the request before suspend. When the system rsumes, the
> kernel completes the iface shutdown procedure by calling ath5k_init().

>From my reading of the code - kernel/power/process.c and kernel/power/main.c,
all the processes on the run queue (except PF_NOFREEZE tasks) should be
stopped before suspend_devices_and_enter is called, so even in your scenario,
it shouldn't be rescheduled until thaw_processes() in suspend_finish() is
called, at which point ->resume() has already happened.

Nonetheless, I admit not being expert in this area, nor do I know if relying
on the freezer is acceptable, so someone more clueful, please chime in.

Anyway, I don't really have any strong feelings either way, so I can post
an update that adds the reinit flag, then Jiri or Nick can take their pick :)
I probably won't get around to it until tonight, so if you want to go ahead
and prepare a patch, feel free.  I think the boolean arguments to _init and
_hw_stop should be symmetric though, so it's probably worth inverting the
sense of the boolean passed to _hw_stop in my previous patch.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com