Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwlwifi: ax210: 6GHz channels disabled in Germany by firmware

On Friday, 29 October 2021 16:55:16 CEST Sharadanand Karanjkar wrote:
> > We are using Intels "ax210ngw" card with "iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-66.ucode"
> > firmware, we are using the kernel from "5.15.0-rc7" tag.

Would have been nice to have some info about the relevant components directly
in the subject. And iw is not that relevant - it is just a tool which you used
to inspect the state of the system. I have therefore adjusted the subject
slightly

> > The problem we are facing is we are not able to enable 6GHz channels
> > for Germany region. Following is the output for "iw reg get"

[....]

> > The iw phy# info also shows that the 6GHz channels are not enabled. We
> > have found one commit which is included in the "5.15.0-rc7" tag which
> > indicates that 6Ghz channels are now supported in the driver.
> >
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sforshee/wireless-regdb.git/commit/?id=cdf854d2ddca01bf126ac138a8ee3e5d6320086f

This is not part of the driver. But the kernel might use it - like in your
example. Unfortunately, the previously mentioned firmware includes an own
regulatory db which is then used for the phy0 ("self managed").

But the commit at least provides some good reasons why Intel might consider
enabling the indoor channel in the frequency range 5945 - 6425 MHz.  It would
therefore be nice to know whether/when Intel actually has plans to enable
these channels in Germany (and not only for the US) in the near future. Maybe
there are even newer (test) firmware versions available but I am not aware
of any newer firmware version than the previously mentioned one [1].
And this firmware was published for linux-firmware right around the time when
Vfg. 55/2021 was released - so it is to some extend expected that Intel didn't
yet incorporated such a change.

I only saw newer releases for other HW [2] but not for Ty.

Kind regards,
	Sven

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git/commit/?id=5de082d4d0f2db7722c9e6f5c9cff1fefd8073be
[2] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromiumos/third_party/linux-firmware/+/3159525