Search Linux Wireless

Re: [BUG] mwifiex sdio wifi crashes on samsung peach pi chromebook

On Tue, 2021-10-26 at 14:29, Brian Norris wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 2:20 PM Milan P. Stanić <mps@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't have official recommendations, nor HW to test at the moment,
> > > but for the record, Peach Pi should have Marvell SD 8797. You can see
> > > what firmware Chrome OS used to ship for those devices here:
> > >
> > > https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/marvell/+/HEAD/sd8797_uapsta.bin
> > > https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/marvell/+log/HEAD/sd8797_uapsta.bin
> >
> > On these urls I can't find actual file to download, or I'm blind (or
> > don't understand how this site 'works').
> > Whatever I click I get new url and not binary file to download.
>
> Ack, I forgot Gitiles is not super friendly for downloading binaries directly:
>
> https://github.com/google/gitiles/issues/106
>
> > Could you give url for binary file that I could download, please?
>
> This should do it:
>
> curl https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/marvell/+/HEAD/sd8797_uapsta.bin?format=TEXT
> | base64 -d > sd8797_uapsta.bin

This works, thanks.

With this firmware it crashed after 8 hours, and I rebooted machine to
see how long it will work on second try.

> Or some similar invocation if you have to use the browser (click on
> the "txt" link, then base64-decode the result).

> > > Did it ever work well? I'm curious if this was a kernel regression, or
> > > perhaps just a long-standing firmware issue.
> >
> > Yes, it worked for few years but started to crash about few months ago
> > and that happened when I upgraded complete root filesystem, so it could
> > be related to upgraded firmware. Thank you for hint what to try to test.
>
> Could be. It does look like mainline linux-firmware got an update for
> this file in 2019, so it's possible your distro (or whatever provides
> your rootfs) only semi-recently got the update.

I use linux-firmware-mrvl-20210919 release but this also happened with
some earlier versions released this year.

I use Alpine linux (https://alpinelinux.org/, I'm alpine linux developer
and maintainer of latest stable kernels on it).

In meantime I found that Arch linux for ARM (alarm) have older firmware
for peach chromebook here (probably copied from chromeos):
https://archlinuxarm.org/builder/src/sd8787_uapsta_cros.bin
https://archlinuxarm.org/builder/src/sd8797_uapsta_cros.bin
https://archlinuxarm.org/builder/src/sd8897_uapsta_cros.bin

They even have patched kernel for this here:
https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7h/linux-peach/files/0002-use-chromiumos-mwifiex-drivers.patch
but this is for old 3.8.11 kernel.

I will try with them and see how it would work.
Also I will try to find if I have old root FS which worked few years on
it (if I have it archived somewhere).

Also, I will report back results.

Kind regards