Search Linux Wireless

Re: mwifiex cmd timeout on one pci variant

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 9:52 PM Dominique MARTINET
<dominique.martinet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is probably more a question for the maker.. But maybe someone will
> know.

Last I knew, at least one of the CC'd is still employed by the owner
of this IP (NXP now), but I don't know that much. But then, they
haven't been giving out a lot of free support lately, AFAIK.

> I've got a mwifiex M.2 pci module that won't take any wifi command and
> hang right away (dmesg below). Bluetooth through serial works.
>

> Context:
> I've got a board with an i.MX8MP chip, and three different marvell W8997
> M.2 modules -- one from laird which works fine, and two from azurewave
> which are labeled exactly the same AW-CM276MA 2276MA PCIE-UART except
> one works and not the other.
> The inscription on the chip itself are slightly different, one saying
> it's a W8997-M1216 from marvell (works) and the other having AW-CM276NF
> azurewave mark. The electronics around are also different.

FWIW, I've only ever worked with the PCIe-USB variant of this chip.
And it had tons of bugs that resulted in "command timeouts" along the
way, and it took a lot of co-working with Marvell to get the firmware
fixed. I don't know their release model well enough to know whether
the PCIe-UART variant will have all the same bugs (and bugfixes). But
in case it helps, here's our firmware history:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/linux-firmware/+log/HEAD/mrvl/pcieusb8997_combo_v4.bin
*Most* of those should align pretty closely with what was published to
linux-firmware.git, but it's not guaranteed, since Marvell didn't
always follow our upstream-first guidelines there.

> I could say it's just a bad chip, but I've actually got two of each
> (samples) which act the same... And I've tried it in another device
> where it works with the same kernel/firmware, so there must be something
> wrong on the board as well as the wifi card works elsewhere.

I've seen something as small as the "wrong" kind of noise cause the
firmware to grind to a halt, so there could be a firmware bug that
gets tickled by the particular layout or antenna configuration of the
board in question. I suppose that's not a very helpful guess, but at
least it might validate your observations.

> Anyway, if someone knows how to get around to debugging this, I'd
> appreciate a pointer! I can't see anything wrong with the tools I have
> here.
> If nothing else, I can't read /sys/class/devcoredump/devcd*/data that I
> saw Amitkumar Karwar request somewhere else, so just deciphering this
> would be great help.

I've never had success with that, but I haven't tried very hard. My
understanding is that it's something equivalent to a register and
state dump of the proprietary firmware, so you won't really learn much
from it without proprietary knowledge.

Good luck,
Brian