Search Linux Wireless

Re: "rfkill: add a reason to the HW rfkill state" breaks userspace

Hi,

On Wed, 2021-04-14 at 10:17 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Adding Benjamin Berg who is one of the gnome-settings-daemon
> maintainers to the Cc.

> > > This has been rolled back by:
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jberg/mac80211.git/commit/?id=71826654ce40112f0651b6f4e94c422354f4adb6
> > > Other userspace broke (systemd) so Johannes rolled this back by
> > > default.
>
> I see, but this change is not in:
>
> kernel-headers-5.11.11-300.fc34.x86_64
>
> Meaning that basically all of Fedora 34 has been built with the "bad"
> headers.
>
> > > Userspace that is interested in the new byte will read 9 bytes.
> >
> > Which, unfortunately, doesn't address *this* particular case, because
> > it
> > uses gio and that will fill the buffer with arbitrary size?
> >
> > When you (Hans) say you saw in strace a read of size 8, did you mean
> > the
> > size passed to it, or the return size? I guess it must be the return
> > size, and the size passed to it was way larger.
>
> No for some reason, for some later read calls gio was actually passing
> 8 as size to the read() syscall. And g-s-d was compiled with headers
> where sizeof(struct rfkill_event) was 9. This is/was the issue, g-s-d
> would do 2 read(fd, buf, 8) calls and then take the first 9 bytes read
> out of the 16 bytes it got to fill a single rfkill_event which is fine,
> except that it uses the remaining 7 bytes as the first 7 bytes of the
> next rfkill_event which it processes making that next event be
> completely bogus.
>
> I do believe this really is a g-s-d bug though, it should not have
> been using a "buffered" gio-channel on a /dev/foo node; and so far it
> only got away with this by the rfkill_event size being a nice power of
> 2 value.
>
> As I mentioned in an email to Benjamin, g-s-d should really switch
> to making direct read() calls on the fd circumventing the gio-channel
> read code all together:
>
> "Right, notice I just realized that even after my fix there still is an
> issue, when running code compiled against new kernel headers gsd-rfkill
> will now always expect 9 bytes per event. But when running on an older
> kernel that will not be true.

This confuses me. i.e. if g-s-d is compiled against headers where the
struct is 9 bytes long, then we should just be getting a short read of
8 bytes. And that should be the same, whether we use plain read() or
g_io_channel_read_chars().

I was under the impression that with
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-settings-daemon/-/merge_requests/232
merged, the read should be fine on the GNOME side.

That said, the g-s-d event handler is checking the size of the read
against the struct size. This is obviously wrong, it should only check
that the read was successful (or check for >= V1 size).

Benjamin