Search Linux Wireless

Re: ACK matching [was: TX status reporting with help of an ack queue]

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 15:51 +0200, Mattias Nissler wrote:

> Well, I understand that we need synchronization of the state machines,
> maybe we can advance optimistically and detect in the next state that
> the STA didn't receive the last message? Just some random thoughts, I
> see it'll at least be tricky, I just wanted your opinion on whether you
> see a chance :-) As I said, I'll look into it when I find some time.

To be honest, I'm not familiar enough with it to be able to answer that
question. I know it's currently needed and I vaguely remember seeing and
discussing that it's pretty important (and the stuff I already wrote),
but that's about it.

> > However, I do think that if the hardware just isn't up to the job you
> > should probably buy new hardware, after all, it's dirt cheap. :)
>
> I totally agree with you. I'm just curious to see whether there is a
> chance to help our users. I'm perfectly fine if it turns out there is no
> chance to do it properly, and I'll rather accept that fact instead of
> trying to introduce workarounds that are known to be incorrect. The sad
> thing is that if we controlled the firmware, we could probably arrange
> to have the necessary information passed to the driver.

Indeed; at least for those cards where there is firmware. But I guess
you always only get as much out of the hardware as the vendor wants you
to, rt61pci for example doesn't report frame timestamps so it's fairly
useless for monitoring.

johannes