Search Linux Wireless

Re: technology preview: scan with cfg80211

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 05:18 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> This is totally incomplete:
>
> cfg80211 needs to
>  * actually hash on the BSSID instead of putting things into a list
>  * provide BSS list functions so mac80211 need not keep track
>  * allow a "private" area in each scan result with hw-provided size
>  * handle mesh properly
>  * provide a way for the hw to limit the number of SSIDs in a scan

 * provide a function to just pass in the whole beacon/probe response
   frame and pick it apart itself
 * handle aging
 * provide a wext "set scan" hook that creates a request and passes it
   off to ->scan(), provide wext "get scan" hook
 * parse the supported rates into a bitmap like mac80211 does now, based
   on the bitrate information the wiphy provides

> in mac80211, we need to
>  * pass the scan request to the hardware offload
>  * handle multiple SSIDs in a scan
>  * use BSS list stuff cfg80211 needs to provide
>  * handle active/passive properly

 * use all those helpers I mentioned above

Also, we need to think about
 * how fullmac stuff can integrate, can it provide this IE-based
   information, and if not, is it feasible to just synthesize it?
 * whether this should really be per wiphy as it is now, or somehow more
   per netdev, or not related to a netdev at all...

johannes