Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] b43: A patch for control of the radio LED using rfkill

On Thursday 18 September 2008 19:42:28 Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008, Michael Buesch wrote:

> > > The state comes from mac80211 and is set in the config() callback.
> > >
> > > What state should be sent at the point when the hardware block is
> > > removed? It seems to me that forcing an UNBLOCKED state gives the
> > > wrong result. Perhaps RFKILL does need to have 4 states so that an
> > > RFKILL_STATE_HW_UNBLOCKED state can be transmitted.
> >
> > If sw is unblocked, but hw is still blocked, you must not announce
> > unblocked state to rfkill.
>
> Well from my perspective:
> Note that 'sw' is the RADIO state as requested by mac80211 and
> 'hw' is the RFKILL state as indicated by the hardware
>
> radio: block, rfkill: block => BLOCK
> radio: block, rfkill: unblock => UNBLOCK

If the radio is physically blocked by the hardware rfkill switch,
why on earth would we want to announce unblocked state?
Or did I get your table wrong?

(Still note that software and hardware states are _independent_ in b43.
Think of it as two independent bits that can each turn the radio off, where
the hardware state bit is readonly and is triggered by the hw-button).

--
Greetings Michael.