Search Linux Wireless

Re: Realtek RTL8723BE throttling network speed

On 04/12/20 09:19PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 12/3/20 5:31 AM, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the Realtek RTL8723BE wireless network adapter on my laptop:
> >
> >    $ lspci | grep -i wireless
> >    08:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
> >
> > running kernel version "5.9.10-arch1-1".
> >
> > I am seeing some strange behavior on it for some time now. When I power
> > on my router and connect to it, I get the full download speed for about
> > an hour or so. After that the speed throttles to around 60-70 KB/s.
> > Other devices connected to the router continue work at full speed.
> >
> > If I power cycle the router, it again works at full speed for about an
> > hour or two and then throttles back to around 60-70 KB/s.
> >
> > Has anybody ever seen any problem like this? Any fixes for this? Or at
> > least any pointers to where I can start looking in the driver source?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated because this is quite annoying having to
> > restart the router every hour or so.
>
> What router and software version?

It is from an obscure manufacturer called "SyroTech". I can't find any
info on the software on the web or on the manual.

> Does unloading/reloading rtl8723be fix the problem without resetting the router?

No.

> I tried the rtl8723be connecting to a Netgear WNDR4500. The starting
> speedtest.net speeds of 45 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up were maintained for 10
> hours. The up speed is the maximum for my broadband connection. The
> interface had 2 disconnects for reason 3, but it reconnected automatically.

Turning off power saving in NetworkManager and loading rtl8723be with
options "ips=0 swlps=0 fwlps=0" seems to have fixed the problem over a
couple days of testing.

--
Regards,
Pratyush Yadav