Search Linux Wireless

Re: sta_info->fail_avg

Javier,

> It is used to estimate the average retransmissions that will be
> required to send a nominal frame over a given peer link.
> That's one component of the airtime link metric.

Ok.

> > I do know that neither ath9k's nor Intel's rate
> > control algorithms ever set it so it'll always be zero.
>
> In that case transmission failures will not be taken into account and
> nodes with that hardware will report a lower (better) link metric than
> what they should.  In other words, those nodes will attract mesh
> traffic, which will provide a strong incentive for the driver
> maintainers to set that value correctly :)

Heh, ok. I've been trying to reduce the amount of stuff the rate control
algorithm needs to do, does this need to be in the rate control
algorithm? It seems that the we simply calculate

pf = spinfo->tx_num_failed * 100 / spinfo->tx_num_xmit;

and

fail_avg = ((pf + (spinfo->last_pf << 3)) / 9);
(in a fixed-point format that has more precision)

and we could do all that in the generic code if we get proper
information from the driver. Anyway, for now I'll leave it as-is.

johannes