Search Linux Wireless

Re: ax200 very poor performance in stock 5.7.0 and 53.c3 firmware.

On 06/04/2020 07:38 AM, Ben Greear wrote:

On 06/04/2020 04:35 AM, Tim Higgins wrote:

On Jun 3, 2020, at 11:54 PM, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm testing an un-modified kernel for a change, and latest firmware that I could find,
but ax200 is still sucking.

UDP upload of single ax200 station gets about 1Mbps, and station disconnects
very often.  TCP download gets about 400Mbps on each of two radios.  UDP download stalls
often and averages around 1Mbps throughput.  TCP upload also stalls out.

Previous testing on other kernels has shown problems with other firmware as well.

I'm requesting 500Mbps UDP speeds.    Requesting only 100Mbps does not help (tested with DL direction only).

[root@ct523c-0b29 ~]# ethtool -i wlan2
driver: iwlwifi
version: 5.7.0
firmware-version: 53.c31ac674.0 cc-a0-53.ucode
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:12:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: no
supports-priv-flags: no

Is there any way to disable OFDMA or /ax on the ax200 in case that helps somehow?

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben,
Try running with no encryption. I know that is not a solution. But it could point to a cause. I've seen disabling encryption make a big difference.

I set to open auth (was using wpa3 PSK previously), and started TCP upload on two stations.  One is doing around 80Mbps, the other seems to have crashed the firmware
and will not recover.

To follow up on this...

I tried the backports-iwlwifi project, and that driver is significantly more stable.  But, you cannot use any other
mac80211 driver (ie, ath10k) with the backport-iwlwifi modules loaded since the ath10k would have been compiled against a different
mac80211 and then ath10k crashes on startup.

So, I ported the backports-iwlwifi driver into my 5.4 kernel, and enough of the mac80211 changes as well so it could
compile.

This is working OK-ish, though FW still crashes and wlans don't always restart properly after crash.

Looks like I can work around this last part by bouncing things in user-space after detecting a crash...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>