Search Linux Wireless

Re: Wireless Problems - Ubuntu 8.04

Susan Higashi wrote:
I tried 'sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv rtl8180', and the message appered: "FATAL: Module rtl8180 not found."

Obviously, Ubuntu did not configure your device, thus the rtl8180 driver is not available. First of all, you need to conttact Ubuntu to discover if this has been changed for Hardy kernels, or if this driver is enabled in the Intrepid alpha kernels. If not, then you need to either build compat-wireless, or apt-get the parts needed to build a kernel so that you can add this driver to the configuration. The instructions on how to build and install your own kernel for Ubuntu and any other Debian-based system are well covered on the Web, and are way off topic for this mailing list.

So, I tried iwconfig the following happened: "lo no wireless extensions." and "eth0 no wireless extensions." I also tried the steps in this link: http://rtl-wifi.sourceforge.net/wiki/Installing, which looked to work, but it didn't work.... =(

All of the above are expected.

Larry