Search Linux Wireless

Re: wmediumd MAC implementation/simulation

> > Well, it depends how deep we go, I guess? I mean, we could go all the
> > way down to the PHY layer, but then we're _really_ in ns3 territory and
> > it's probably not worth it... OTOH, to fully integrate the firmware, we
> > probably do need this eventually. But I'd rather not reinvent ns3 here,
> > obviously :)

> I think it's not the phy but the lower MAC layer, which at least need to
> be adapted to the hwsim interface. Although it has no extreme
> computational effort, its not that easy to implement. Depending on your
> envisioned setup this might already be done in your firmware.

Yeah, I think so.

> Thy phy
> layer will bring much higher timing precision, when the right models are
> applied, but will greatly impact the simulation speed.

Right. No good for this, I think.

And anyway then we're looking at ns-3 I guess. Though I couldn't figure
out yesterday how we could possibly integrate all this simulation setup
into ns-3.

> >         int ack_time_usec = pkt_duration(14, index_to_rate(0, frame->freq)) +
> >                             sifs;
> >
> > but this is incorrect ... so arguably we need that *anyway*?
>
> Actually you are right. Currently, we apply this by a priori knowledge.
> Maybe a silly Idea, but could we interleave the cfg80211/nl80211
> protocol on the virtio channel to get the configuration information?

It'd really have to be the *mac80211* protocol, which is based only on
function calls etc. so we have to build a messaging layer around it ...
which basically is mac80211-hwsim, right?

> > I guess I'd start with actually subjecting the ACK to "channel
> > conditions", but I'd actually want to be able to hook into the TX/RX in
> > some way from the external MAC too ... I just don't think we need to
> > treat hwsim as an external MAC because that just complicates the whole
> > thing?
> >
> > Well, honestly, I have no idea :)
>
> Mhh I don't really get what you mean by that. Why can't you hook into
> RX/TX with a simulated ACK ?

I guess I could, but then I have to worry about all kinds of MAC
capabilities? I mean, essentially I'd end up building a MAC for hwsim,
in some integrated fashion, which seems like it probably should've been
done in ns-3 already or such?

> > > Up to you :)
>
> It should be definitely possible. But I'm asking my self how good that
> interacts with your firmware simulation.

Well, ns-3 *is* layered, no? Arguably then I should be able to remove
the MAC layer and put in my own, hooking into the PHY layer signals? But
I quickly got lost in the documentation there, and it's not really what
I need right now anyway ...

johannes