Search Linux Wireless

Precise time synchronization via wifi interface (intel AX201 iwlwifi driver)

Hi,

I am trying to achieve precise time synchronization via wifi interface.

I used intel AX201 card, certified with TimeSync, 802.11v, mc. So I assume it has the capability to do hardware time stamp when running applications like linux ptp (http://linuxptp.sourceforge.net/) and gptp (https://github.com/Avnu/gptp). However I get error that seems to suggest the timestamp mode is not supported.

After reading some source code, I discover that the /ptp4l/ application, or /gptp/, or /ethtool/ /-T/ , they all use a system call /ioctl/, which uses ethtool_ops call back to determine whether the hardware can do software/hardware timestamp.

However when searching in the driver/net/wireless/iwlwifi directory, I don't see anywhere /ethtool_ops/ is being implemented in the driver. So this most likely is why all user space tools I tried seem to determine the card cannot do hardware and also software (driver level) transmit timestamp.

Can someone tell me how I could run ptp like application to fully make use of the Timesync feature of intel card?

Some more details below:

root@localhost:/debug/tracing# ethtool -i wlp2s0
driver: iwlwifi
version: 5.4.6-050406-generic
firmware-version: 48.4fa0041f.0
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: no
supports-priv-flags: no

root@localhost:/debug/tracing# ethtool -T wlp2s0
Time stamping parameters for wlp2s0:
Capabilities:
        software-receive      (SOF_TIMESTAMPING_RX_SOFTWARE)
        software-system-clock (SOF_TIMESTAMPING_SOFTWARE)
PTP Hardware Clock: none
Hardware Transmit Timestamp Modes: none
Hardware Receive Filter Modes: none