Search Linux Wireless

Re: Support for RTL8188FU

On 10/1/19 12:46 PM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
On 2019-10-01 11:47:44 [-0500], Larry Finger wrote:
A quick Internet search shows me that the RTL8188FU is a low-cost chip used
on Raspberry PI and other similar low-cost systems.

The USB group at Realtek is notorious for their lack of support for Linux
drivers. The ones they release have lots of dead code used for Windows and
FreeBSD drivers, and they have lots of code that applies to other chips.
With other drivers that I have placed at GitHub, some of the commits that
remove dead code will remove as many of 10K lines.

yeah, seen that.

You should be able to find the code that differs between 8188EU and 8188FU
to see what is different.

So you would recommend to try to merge it to the staging driver.

If that is what you read, that is not what I meant.

The staging driver is really old and does not support nl80211 and friends. If you are willing to undertake a 6 to 12-month rewrite of the driver you have, and it supports RTL8188EU, then a replacement of the staging driver would be what you should do. If you do not want to make that kind of time commitment, then a GitHub repo would be your best bet; however, GitHub already has 5 such repos for the rtl8188fu. As far as I can tell, none of them are yours.

The first thing I would do is clone the v5.2.2.4 branch of lwfinger/rtl8188eu at GitHub, add the USB ID for your device, and see if that works. I expect it will. If so, that would get you quite a ways toward the changes needed to get that driver into staging.

Larry