Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 0/8] nl80211: add 6GHz band support

On 6/28/2019 3:04 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
Hi Arend, all,

Sorry. No, my thoughts aren't really more concrete, but Tova is starting
to work on this now.

This came up in discussion with my colleagues today and I would say from
mac80211 perspective there is more to it than just scanning. In short
the 6GHz band is for HE-only operation so for example only HE rates may
be used. As the bitrates are in ieee80211_supported_band having a
separate 6GHz band seems to have a (slight?) advantage.

Hmm, that's a good point too, I hadn't really looked _too_ much at 6GHz
stuff.

Jouni, what do you think?

Perhaps we should just have both. I mean, we can treat this as a
separate band, and still have code to handle operating classes properly,
right?

I assume user-space does not necessarily need the band, but hostapd needs to be aware that it is operating in 6GHz to setup the correct (information) elements in the beacon. Obviously the operating classes can be used there, but I don't think there is any issue with nl80211 exposing a 6G band.

Regards,
Arend