Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8187: RTL8187B with id 0bda:8198

Thanks Larry for the help!
I have tried the patches and now it works better but the network still stops
working after a while (and DNS lookup doesn't work at all?).

Larry Finger wrote:
To quote the RealTek engineers, "The rtl8187B card with VID 8198 is only for Toshiba. But It is regrettable that we can't provide open source of that, because we have some agreements with Toshiba." All that they will say is that the part is different.

The question is how different the 8197 and 8198 are. They can't be totally incompatible
 since the driver almost works?

Have you run this card with ndiswrapper? If so, you should be able to use usbmon to dump the traffic and find what is being sent to the chip by the Windows driver that the native driver does not. Perhaps a timer reset will be found that way.

Unfortunately I haven't got ndiswrapper to work with the card. I have tried the winxp driver
 from toshiba, winxp driver from realtek and the win98 driver (forced) from realtek without success.
There are no error messages at all so I really do not know what the problem is.

/Johan