Search Linux Wireless

Re: Should b44_init lead to WARN_ON in drivers/ssb/driver_gpio.c:464?

On 6/9/2019 8:13 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 6/9/19 4:57 PM, Michael Büsch wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 17:44:10 -0400
>> H Buus <ubuntu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an old 32 bit laptop with a BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX ethernet
>>> controller. For every kernel from 4.19-rc1 going forward, I get a
>>> warning and call trace within a few seconds of start up (see dmesg
>>> snippet below). I have traced it to a specific commit (see commit
>>> below). On the face of it, I would think it is a regression, but it
>>> doesn't seem to cause a problem, since networking over ethernet is
>>> working.
>>

>> This warning is not a problem. The commit just exposes a warning, that
>> has always been there.
>> I suggest we just remove the WARN_ON from ssb_gpio_init and
>> ssb_gpio_unregister.
>> I don't see a reason to throw a warning in that case.
>
> Michael,
>
> I agree. Do you want to prepare the patch, or should I?
>
> Larry

Let me know if you would like me to verify a patch when/if it is
available. Since kernels 4.19 thru 5.1 are unstable on this laptop, I
would either need to test with a 4.18 or older kernel, or limit my
testing to recovery mode & verifying that the b44 module is initialized
without causing a warning & call trace. Unless I get lucky and figure
out what commit is making newer kernels unstable on this laptop.