Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC/RFT] rtl8187: Protect the config callback from mac80211 with a mutex

On 7/30/08, Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski <herton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em Wednesday 30 July 2008 14:46:40 Michael Buesch escreveu:
>
> > On Wednesday 30 July 2008 19:13:52 Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski wrote:
>  > > > Yeah, I said exactly that.
>  > > > You protect the loopback stuff. Not any config callback or anything else.
>  > >
>  > > Ah ok, only protect the section, like this?
>  >
>  > Yeah, well. In theory, yes. In practice: Aren't there other races possible, too?
>  > I mean even races with other parts of the driver.
>  > b43 needs to take the global driver mutex in the conf callback to make
>  > sure nothing changes (device init state probably is the most important one.
>  > Device going down while configuring would be a fatal crash).
>

> In practice I don't get other problems, but better to stick to the patch posted
>  by Larry, like he said to avoid config data from one call mixed to the other.
>  rtl8187 is more simpler, besides this issue with configuration it all depends
>  on how mac80211 calls another functions, I have yet to see but doesn't look like
>  a general lock is needed.

I have been wondering about two things: (1) I occasionally have problems
modprobe -r (particularly right after a bit of use and the driver is
stuck), ksoftirqd just suck CPU cycles like crazy in some timer code.
It seems to be less often if I just leave it for some time before
modprobe -r. I am on a dual core system. (2) although Larry says
wpa_supplicant works, I can't get it to work for me at all, but the
driver is alright and quite useable with ifconfig/iwconfig, etc.

Had a look at wpa_supplicant itself and it doesn't seem to do much
more than the iwconfig/iwlist stuff, but obviously it does it job
faster (and potentially through two cores).

The wpa_supplicant issue is probably also about config data, but I
wonder if the shutdown also needs some sort of spin lock. Some of the
other drivers has spin locks,
and rtl8187 actually is one with the fewest spin locks.