Search Linux Wireless

Re: cellular modem APIs - take 2

Hi Johannes,

After all, I'm not really proposing that we put oFono or something like
it into the kernel - far from it! I'm only proposing that we kill the
many various ways of creating and managing the necessary netdevs (VLANs,
sysfs, rmnet, ...) from a piece of software like oFono (or libmbim or
whatever else).

I do like the concept of unifying this if possible. The question is, is it actually possible :) I think Dan covered most of the aspects of what userspace has to deal with already. But the basic issue is that there's a heck of a lot of different ways of doing it.

Apart from CAIF and phonet, oFono doesn't even try to do this though,
afaict, so I guess it relies on the default netdev created, or some out-
of-band configuration is still needed?

Actually it can. We can drive modems which provide only a single serial port and run multiplexing over that. So we fully control the number of control channels created, the number of netdevs created and even create/destroy them on as needed basis. And these netdevs can be PPP encapsulated or pure IP or whatever else.

Regards,
-Denis