Search Linux Wireless

Re: Please do not pull 2.6.27-rc1 into wireless-testing

David Miller wrote:
From: "John W. Linville" <linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:46:23 -0400

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:42:32PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

As stated in the subject, please do not update wireless-testing with 2.6.27-rc1, at least for a while. In the thread that starts at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/18423, I found that commit 175f9c1bba9b825d2 breaks wireless, at least for b43. Until that is fixed, I think wireless-testing should remain at 2.6.26.
Have you tried the patches Johannes sent today?  Do they help the
situation?

And also not keeping wireless-testing at the latest upstream release
is completely counter productive.

It's just going to result in more and more merge hassles for John
than is really reasonable to expect him to deal with just because
mac80211 has some bug that needs to be fixed.

And keep in mind that in this particular case, mac80211 has had this
bug forever, it's just that how the stack is organized now the bug
matters all the time instead of "sometimes."

I already reported that Johannes's patches worked. It was part of the earlier message that seemed to bug you.

I understand that the bug was in mac80211 forever; however, most wireless systems worked. With your change in the qdisc handling, essentially no wireless worked. If wireless-testing caught the same bug, we would have been "up the creek".

I didn't order John not to pull, I merely asked him. If that would have overly complicated his work load, he would either have ignored my request, or he would have told me why he couldn't do what I asked. I'm quite certain he would have done the latter.

In any case, the matter is now over. The patch that fixes the problem (mostly) is in the things that John pushed to you today. Once you do your thing, then they will be in mainline too. Until that happens, I have a patch to make mainline work for me and I can go on looking for other problems. So far, no new ones have appeared. I still get the possible recursive locking warning, but I know it is harmless.

Larry