Search Linux Wireless

Re: question: crda timeout in cfg80211

> > Linux cfg80211 regulatory subsystem uses CRDA timeout to ensure completion
> > of regulatory updates, performed by user-space software. See call_crda
> > functon in net/wireless/reg.c:
> >
> > static int call_crda(const char *alpha2)
> > {
> >
> >       queue_delayed_work(system_power_efficient_wq,
> >                       &crda_timeout, msecs_to_jiffies(3142));
> >       return 0;
> > }
> >
> > So regulatory update/reset operations shall be completed in 3142 msec.
> > And that includes processing of regulatory notifiers for all the
> > wireless cards in the system.
> >
> > It is not quite clear where this specific timeout value came from.
> > Original commit (a90c7a313a1c5b) doesn't go into details about it.
> >
> > Any ideas where it could come from ?
>
> No particular reason. It's just ~pi seconds, and IIRC Luis thought that
> was funny :-)

Indeed, it is PI. I should have known. But instead I spent some time
digging through 802.11 specs :)

> Are you seeing any issues with that?

Well, as I mentioned in my question, regulatory update/reset operations
shall be completed in ~pi seconds for _all_ the wireless cards in the
system. In our case, regulatory reset operation may be fairly costly.
As a result, we end up with recurring reset timeout, when more than one
qtn card is installed in a single pcie host. One option for us is to
optimize regulatory reset operations in firmware.

But what do you think about converting crda_timeout into a per-wiphy
timeout in the case when all wiphy-s are being processed, e.g.
in update_all_wiphy_regulatory.

Regards,
Sergey