Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 2/2] ath10k: Add QCA vendor command/attr support to filterneighbor BSS frames

On 2018-10-18 13:59, Johannes Berg wrote:

So I'm not sure what to do with this. A bpf type of filtering system in
mac80211 would be nice

Yes, I think we really need to start implementing that sooner rather
than later. I had something, must see if I can find time for it.

but then again we cannot benefit from HW offloading.

Yes, that's a concern. But how big of a concern is it really?

This patch only talks about "allow an AP" etc. and so while important,
power isn't the _utmost_ concern like on mobile. Given an efficient
filtering solution in software, would that be sufficient?

Assume in a scenario where there are multiple APs (One Center AP and Multiple repeater AP) in same operating channel.
Clients present in Neighbor APs causing higher traffic.

when we try to filter desire client packets,
In HW offload case, all Neighbor BSS packets are filtered by HW. so there is no impact in CPU load. AP performance not get impacted. In bpf (enabling monitor mode) case, all Neighbor BSS packets get filtered by software. It will consume CPU load which will impact AP performance.

Irrespective of how many neighbor APs present in the topology, HW offload take care of neighbor BSS filtering. Hence no impact in CPU load. so we decided to use HW offload. To use our HW offload feature, we ended up in vendor command approach.

Karthikeyan