Search Linux Wireless

Re: Driver for RealTek RTL8811AU dual-band USB WiFi adapter

On 11/4/18 9:43 AM, Chris Ward wrote:
I recently bought one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C4JQZSP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ; a dual-band wifi adapter. It came with source for a Linux driver, which required some patching to get it to work with the 4.19 kernel. Can I interest a kernel developer to integrate this into kernel.org ? It would save me
effort at further patching if someone else kept it current as the kernel changes.

The driver from Amazon is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AYmjFk2l5jTpnAzLPNpetSGefm4khEBi
and my patch is here http://tjcw.freeshell.org/Patches/rawhide-20181031.patch .

The Amazon driver is stated to be GPL, and I am content for my work to be GPL also.

If you need further information, please email me (tjcw at cantab.net)

Even though the driver is GPL, it would take roughly 6 months for an experienced kernel coder to rewrite the crappy code that Realtek provides, particularly for its USB devices, to get it into a form that would be accepted into the kernel. If you are offering $10K for the project, you might get some interest. :)

As I offer a number of USB drivers for Realtek USB devices at GitHub, and I keep them patched for changes in the kernel API, I might consider adding this one to the collection there. It would be useful if someone would provide me with a sample device. Without that, I would rely on remote testing. A quick look at your patches indicate that you are destroying the ability to build the driver on earlier kernels. That is what is done for in-kernel code, but for an external driver one needs to keep a lot of flexibility.

Larry