Search Linux Wireless

Re: How many null-data probes on connection loss?

On 09/27/2018 12:12 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Wed, 2018-09-26 at 15:21 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

Now only 4 retries per frame, but it seems mac80211 is all 5 of its
null-data probes within a few miliseconds.  Is that expected, or should
there be a bit more pause between each of the probe requests to better
weather periodic network glitches?

Hmm. That's a good point, but it seems we've never considered this
before. This must be a consequence of retrying immediately on lost ACK,
but I guess I could see that delaying it for a little bit would make
sense.

We do delay it if there's no reliable ACK reporting, IIRC, but if we
know it failed for sure ...

It seems though that if there's some noise or so on the channel you
wouldn't be transmitting, so what kind of "network glitches" might
affect this? AP going away unexpectedly for some time?

I am thinking that if the 'timeout' is 500ms, and the number of probes is 2
(the default values), then it should probe at 0ms, and at 250ms, and then finally
fail at 500ms if nothing was received.  In otherwords, X probes, x/timeout apart.

I should have a patch to make it work more like I think it should work
later today for discussion.

Thanks,
Ben

--