Search Linux Wireless

Re: rt2x00 is still experimental?

On Saturday 12 July 2008 17:13:54 Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> On Saturday 12 July 2008, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > Quoting Ivo van Doorn <ivdoorn@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > No.

> > > Perhaps managed mode, but not adhoc mode, beaconing is still broken.
> > > In addition the leds are broken as well, and hardware encryption
> > > isn't in either.
> >
> > I see.  It must be a perception thing.  Things I hack on seem
> > unstable, but things that just work seem stable :)
>
> Well it is at least good to know managed mode is working well for you. :)
>
> > Thank you for the status.  Good luck with fixing the remaining problems!
>
> Thanks,

I think the EXPERIMENTAL flag is just meaningless.
You cannot run a kernel without it, as so many required and working
subsystems and drivers depend on it.
So I decided to drop EXPERIMENTAL for b43, as It Works (tm) for most users.
Sure, there are a lot of corners that need fixing, but fixing them all
up before removing EXPERIMENTAL would most likely never happen.

So we removed EXPERIMENTAL from the driver when the driver worked
for most users in STA mode. IMO that improves the overall situation,
as it's one less EXPERIMENTAL dependency, that isn't really one.

--
Greetings Michael.