Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] Add new regulatory framework for Linux wireless

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Sam Leffler <sam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>>> Can you elaborate on the first sentence?  Are you just saying that some
>>> software blindly trusts the contents of the country IE and doesn't constrain
>>> it's use (as you describe)?  Or are you saying drivers interpret the
>>> contents of the country IE in ways different than spec'd?
>>>

>> I'm saying drivers and software stacks used tend to vary on how they
>> use the country IE. I believe most vendor drivers *never* simply
>> use what the AP provides due to considerations about "rogue" APs.
>> I can see why too though -- but it just means the spec didn't
>> account for these considerations. Hence my suggestion.
>>

> Can you elaborate on the differences you see in the drivers and software
> stacks?  I haven't encountered significant differences.

I rather not get into details. Lets just try to shoot for some good
solution. That's what we are after anyway. Do you have any feedback on
the strategy I'm proposing? Can the BSD community also make some use
of CRDA? The license is ISC so you should be able to benefit too.

  Luis