Search Linux Wireless

Re: wireless dongle causing entire machine to hang

On 8/8/2018 7:58 PM, Randy Oostdyk wrote:
Good day all,

Hi Randy

I'm writing to report an issue with the linux kernel, and I'm hoping
this is the right place to report it. (short aside: I tried to ask in
the #linux-wireless IRC channel, but wasn't permitted to speak!)

uhm. why?

I'm aware that this is a USB protocol issue, and so this may be the
wrong place to report the bug, but the warning seems to be generated
by the wireless driver, and that appears to be the key issue here.

My USB wifi dongle is on the end of a very long USB cable, and was
connected to a USB hub. On two different occasions (after hours or
days of use), the machine it was attached to (Raspberry Pi 3) stopped
responding. I was unable to SSH in, even over ethernet. After a hard
reboot, I found that the following error was repeated **many thousands
of times per second** in three different log files:

I assume that USB is powered, right? Now probably asking the obvious, but you did not write it down so here it is: did you try with a very short USB cable?

I guess you read this already [1]

Rpi kernel: [857011.857581] ieee80211 phy1:
rt2800usb_tx_sta_fifo_read_completed: Warning - TX status read failed
-71

So this -EPROTO. The usb host controller of the RPi3 can be found here:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/tree/rpi-4.18.y/drivers/usb/host/dwc_otg

Not sure it that tells us anything though.

Regards,
Arend

[1] https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/usb/README.md