Search Linux Wireless

Re: IBSS timeouts

On 16/07/2018 21:31, James Prestwood wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a developer for IWD and trying to implement IBSS networks. The
> initial IBSS_JOIN, 4-way, and setting the keys all works and I am able
> to connect two stations. The problem is that I am hitting a timeout in
> the kernel once the connection has succeeded and there are no more
> frames flowing between stations. I dug around in the kernel and saw
> there is a 60 second inactivity timeout which is precicely what is
> happening. After setting the keys 60 seconds go by and I recieve a
> DEL_STATION (log attached).
>
> My question is: is this timeout expected after the station has been
> added and the keys are set? If so how does one reset this timeout so
> the connection can remain alive even if no data is being sent?
> heartbeat of some kind?

This is not normal, but it isn't your fault. It's more a problem with your card
firmware/driver. What card/driver do you have ?

In IBSS mode, all stations are required to send beacons. The protocol is a bit
complex to arrange that, every 102.4ms, a station is chosen to emit the beacon.

Receiving beacons from a station is enough to reset its timer, so with a
properly functioning station, this timer does not expire.

Unfortunately, in the wild, nobody test that IBSS beacons are generated, because
without them, an open IBSS still appear to work...