Search Linux Wireless

Re: Slow b43 with 2.6.25.9 on an asus wl-700ge home-router

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I finally started to use the b43 driver on my home-router and am happy
to have it working at all (with WPA), but I notice that the speed is
pretty terrible: I cannot seem to get more than 100KB/s out of it (I
use it as a personal web proxy, so it ends up slowing down my
web-surfing :-( ).

Originally "iwconfig" told me that the bit rate was 2Mb/s (and even
that should allow me to get a bit more than 100KB/s).
After "iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M", the result is the same (except that
"iwconfig" tells me the bit rate is 54Mb/s).

More specifically, iwconfig tells me things like:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"test" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457 GHz Access Point: 00:10:30:C0:50:50 Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B Link Quality=95/100 Signal level:-54 dBm Noise level=-63 dBm

which seems to indicate that the reception is indeed good.
Any idea what I might want to check?

I did notice that my dmesg says things like
"received packet with  own address as source address".  This seems
related to my use of bridging, but:
1 - I have no bridging loop (actually I unplugged all ethernet cables,
    so the only active network interface in the bridge is wlan0).
2 - taking wlan0 out of the bridge eliminates those messages, but
    doesn't improve the bandwidth.

Any idea what might be going on?

What model is your card? Please post the output of 'dmesg | grep b43'.

With the current versions of mac80211, the rate-setting mechanism is very good. If you force a high rate, i.e. with 'iwconfig ... 54M', you run the risk of increasing your error rate causing many more retransmits, and might reduce the throughput. That may not be happening here, but I wonder why the rate capped at 2M. Incidentally, the quality numbers for my BCM4312 located about 2m from the AP are "Link Quality=93/100 Signal level:-37 dBm Noise level=-71 dBm". My Link Quality is lower than yours, but S/N is much better - not that any of those numbers have much validity. My transmit throughput is consistently over 2 Mbs, but I'm not bridging. Roughly 6 months ago, I did set up routing, but that was using iptables, not a formal bridge device. That configuration had full speed.

If you shut down the bridge, what speed do you get?

Larry

Larry