Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 0/4] wireless: Per-sta NoAck and offload support

On 2018-03-27 22:18, Steve deRosier wrote:
Hi Vasanthakumar,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 1:42 AM, Vasanthakumar Thiagarajan
<vthiagar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Adds infrastructure for driver to offload NoAck functionality, driver
like ath10k could make use of it. Also extends the current ndev wide

I'm not really much of a fan of adding a feature without some use of
the feature. Perhaps if drivers "like" ath10k could use it, maybe you
should add a patch(s) to the series where one of those drivers
actually uses the feature.  An API without an example of use is also
harder to evaluate effectively.

I agree driver patch using the new NoAck infrastructure would help with
understanding, ill post it once it is ready. But not sure the driver patch
can be part of the same series.

Additionally, if it's relevant, adding use of the feature to hwsim
would both serve the above comment as well as provide testing
capability.

Does not seem like this offload feature is something applicable for hwsim
especially mac80211 already offers the same functionality.

NoAck policy to per-station, with sta level NoAck policy configuration
userspace could selectively turn off/on Noack based on various connection
parameters of the station.

This is my own ignorance, perhaps from missing recent netdev
conferences - can you send a link to some documentation of what NoAck
is? Certain things in 802.11 use ack transmissions and
interoperability would be compromised if we didn't conform to spec. I
don't imagine that's what's going on here but I'd like to understand
what the heck NoAck is and I failed to bring up anything useful when I
Googled it.

The NoAck configuration is a bitmap of tid which is used to set NoAck in Qos control field of the data frame for that particular tid. Perhaps you could
look at Ack policy subfield section in 802.11 spec.

Vasanth