Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] mac80211: advertise supported interface types for sw encryption

On 2018-03-22 13:36, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Thu, 2018-03-22 at 11:51 +0530, mpubbise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So IMHO - just get rid of the bitmap and hard-code AP_VLAN.

I agree with you only partially.

Today, I do not see any driver advertising SW_CRYPTO_CONTROL other than
ath10k. There could be some driver which would want to advertise
SW_CRYPTO_CONTROL and do not support the software encryption for VLAN
devices. In that case, hard-coding doesn't seem to solve the problem
completely right? No?

Well, my point is that such a hypothetical driver is completely
irrelevant because it doesn't make any sense to have this behaviour -
it would mean it cannot support AP_VLAN with encryption, so it might as
well not support AP_VLAN at all.

Or you meant to say that driver should advertise the support for
AP_VLANs only if it can support encryption on AP_VLAN devices?

Right.

If this
the case, then I could see some code in ieee80211_register_hw which says
this,

         /* if low-level driver supports AP, we also support VLAN */
if (local->hw.wiphy->interface_modes & BIT(NL80211_IFTYPE_AP)) {
                 hw->wiphy->interface_modes |=
BIT(NL80211_IFTYPE_AP_VLAN);
                 hw->wiphy->software_iftypes |=
BIT(NL80211_IFTYPE_AP_VLAN);
         }

Yes, but if such a driver comes along we can change this.

It makes sense, I will send out the change by hard-coding only for AP-VLAN interface.

--
mkp