Search Linux Wireless

Re: Max clients on wifi access point with 7265

Steve deRosier <derosier@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> You can't.

>>> More or less, yes. The HW/FW can support 16 STAs, but needs two for
>>> other bookkeeping.
>>

>> As a general question, is there a standard way to determine this limit for
>> any particular hardware?
>

> Yes, but there's no easy way. Put it in AP mode and connect clients to
> it until it starts rejecting new clients or dropping the old ones.
> Usually while watching it with a sniffer. That's how I've always had
> to do it.
>
> Different chips will have different limits, and there's no reliable
> way to determine the limit across all chips other than trial and
> error. It seems a common desire of people to try to use client chips
> as poor-man APs. While it will work for very limited number of
> clients, they're not intended as AP chips. If you want something to
> work as an AP, I recommend you choose an AP chip.

We do have wiphy::max_ap_assoc_sta, but I see only ath10k, qtnfmac and
rsi_91x setting it. I wish all drivers would use that.

 * @max_ap_assoc_sta: maximum number of associated stations supported in AP mode
 * (including P2P GO) or 0 to indicate no such limit is advertised. The
 * driver is allowed to advertise a theoretical limit that it can reach in
 * some cases, but may not always reach.

--
Kalle Valo