Search Linux Wireless

RE: mac80211 scan results, signal value not reliable

The problem is that 0 is invalid as a SIGNAL_DBM value but this is
dubious for a SIGNAL_UNSPEC value which appears to be still in use
in a couple of drivers.

Sure that using 0 will solve my own problem.

> > I stumbled on this because, when using ath9k (WLE350NX) to do a
> > passive scan off-channel, the beacons received in a 30ms window
> after
> > channel change show a signal level +10dB above the real value. So
> > was looking for a way to tell the above layers that the signal is
> > invalid. RX_FLAG_NO_SIGNAL_VAL seems to fit, but is not conveyed
> up to iw or wpa_supplicant.
> >
> > In fact I did not find any such thing in net/wireless/nl80211.c,
> > function nl80211_send_bss().
> >
> > Any suggestion? Did I miss something?
>
> Want to send a patch? There seem to be a few more places as well,

I am working on a 3.18 kernel; so I can either make the patch from
an old compat-wireless, or make the patch from your last tree but
I cannot test it; are you interested anyways?

> e.g.
> in rx.c for cfg80211_report_obss_beacon() and cfg80211_rx_mgmt().

There is also mlme.c, the ifmgd->ave_beacon_signal should not be updated
with an invalid signal;
and in the last tree, the ibss join passes an uninitialized signal
value to cfg80211_inform_bss_frame_data().