Search Linux Wireless

Realtek USB Wifi (0x0bda:0xb720) RTL8723BU does not work

Am 04.01.2018 um 19:40 schrieb Jes Sorensen:
On 01/03/2018 04:26 PM, Stefan Pappalardo wrote:
Dear Jes,

see attached the result from dmesg of ubuntu 16.04 (amd64) running on a Medion
AKOYA S4220 Notebook.

The Notbook has got an integrated Wifi / Bluetooth device.
lsusb: Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:b720 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

The Bluetooth function does work out of the box.

But the Wifi is down after boot and login.
And there seemed to be nothing to improve the situation.
After many hours of searching the internet I found the following url with the
same issue and an interesting workaround:

https://www.questarter.com/q/can-39-t-detect-wifi-networks-until-put-to-sleep-3_988896.html

Workaround: Wifi works, but only if you put the notebook into sleep mode and
wake it up again.

After reboot I tried scanning for wifi networks with NetworkManager and Wicd to
be sure this is a kernel issue, and no application issue.
Wifi does not work until sleep & wakeup. No difference if you use NetworkManager
or Wicd.

The notebook came with Windows 10, which is unusable with the underpowered hardware.
My niece asked me if I could help her with an alternative solution.
The performance of Ubuntu looks much more better then Windows 10.
But the only network device in the notebook is the wifi with the above described
issue.

Would you please be so kind to have look at the issue?
Please post such things to the linux-wireless list and not my personal
inbox.

The 8723bu is a combo device, requiring the bluetooth and wifi sides to
collaborate. Since you're running a bluetooth driver that doesn't
collaborate, the two obviously cannot work at the same time. Blacklist
the bluetooth driver and try again.

Jes

I've tried to blacklist the bluetooth driver by placing a file with the name blacklist-bluetooth.conf in /etc/modprobe.d with the content "blacklist bluetooth". But this didn't help. Any idea what I did wrong?

--
Stefan